Monday, October 03, 2005

Bumbling bibliophile in College Street in Calcutta

The mosquitoes had stopped divebombing and the frogs had stopped doing their prince act, so there were, obviously, clear portents of rain. My in-laws-to-be asked me to take along an umbrella, but since a Bengali domiciled in Delhi for more that three decades knows more about Calcutta than Calcuttans do, I, obviously, smartly didn't.

The cab drive to College Street was nighmarish - or daymarish, what you will - Baja-style roads packed with buses well past their retirement and running, inch by bloody inch, on diesel engines spiked with kerosene, the only Ambassador taxis in the country (since only those iron Vauxhall ripoffs can survive Calcutta traffic), a few foolhardy motorbikes - and, oh yes, people, so many people that one tends to forget they're there at all.

College Street is no different a proposition, except that it is home to some of the most illustrious colleges in the country. (I, as a Delhi Stephanian, have a dispute with that, but more of that in a later blog.) College Street is a f***ing hellhole, with one of the only surviving tramlines rolling in the city on girders so old that they've eaten a pit down the middle of the asphalt, like an ancient river doing its eternal erosion thing. Both sides of the road are lined with tiny shops - lean-tos, with asbestos and tarp roofs that I found, to my consternation when the rains came punching down, surprisingly waterproof.

The street, Calcutta's pride, which three decades of doctrinaire communism has deprived most of the city's Bengalis of, houses many of the city's colleges. The University of Calcutta, India's second oldest modern university, was established in 1857. On one side of CU (as it chooses to be called) is Presidency College, irrefutably one of India's best, founded in 1874. On the other is Asia's oldest medical school - the Calcutta Medical College - founded in 1835. Facing Presidency College is the famous - or infamous, depending on how you look at history - Coffee House, where God created the universe and left it to the Coffee House's insolvent intellectuals to discover the beauty of it.

But, the shops being waterproofed didn't help - I got soaked anyway. The tarp is there to protect not the pedestrians, it's there to protect the books.

And, ah, the books! Even though most of the shops have converted currency to IIT kunjis and CAT simplifiers and suchlike, if you stick your nose in deep enough, you'll smell the dust of old vellum, sometimes hear the distressing crackle of yellowed 100 gsm matt paper irredeemably cracking when the piles shift because of the temblor of the trams clanging by.

Even with my butt soaked and my head dry - creating a thermostatic difference that would have lit up the whole street - I found what I wasn't looking for but then discovered that I had been, all my life. Auslander that I was, I spent an hour at the first three shops that had various ripoffs of the Da Vinci Code and a single book on Verrier Elvin. After better sense overcame the balking and embarrassment of having to shame these shysters by not paying out a paisa, three shops down the line - of about 200 shops on either side of the road - I found a whole pile of pre-Independence published, 6" X 3", leatherbound volumes of classics that some impecunious Bengali had sold, in undoubted grief, to this particular barker. He asked Rs 60 for each, I haggled desultorily and brought him down to Rs 32 each. I'm now the proud possessor of 12 volumes - if their diminutive size will permit them that noun - from The British India Publishing Company, Calcutta, printed in Great Britain, of Lorna Doone, Adam Bede, The Innocents Abroad, The Scarlet Letter, Wuthering Heights, Ben Hur, Silas Marner, G K Chesterton-Selected Essays , Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde,The Hunchback of Notredame, Edgar Allan Poe's Tales Grotesque, and Mill on the Floss. Beat that. Money's not the point here, but if it were, they'd fetch me a fortune on E-Bay.

But I was also snuffling around for other books - on fascism, Chinese communism, hard science fiction...anything that would slake a thirst for knowledge except on roaches and arachnids. The word went down the line that a sucker was looking for a punch- in that body-bruising rain, I don't know how or who did the running: cellphones certainly weren't in view and nobody was doing any yelling.

Now for an aside: India's postal system goes back three and a half millennia, when kings had an established communication system between Egyptian Pharaohs and Chinese monarchs. They used all manner of transportation - horses, elephants, men, pigeons - and inducements, primarily smidgens of gold and Medusa's heads of whips and, failing all, threats of familial decapitation.

But the latter-day - centuries later actually, 150 years ago when the Indian Postal Service came into existence - mail, or dak, "runner" was actually the world's strongest baton carrier, or extreme athlete, pelting from station to station where he passed on his satchel of letters to the next runner, who went further, and so on, braving raging rivers - often drowning - tigers, bandits, every homo sapien-hater you could name. Jim Corbett himself once"impersonated" a runner, lugging along a lantern, an utterly inadequate spear, and a wrapping of letters, trying to track the spoor of a man-eater that had scarfed many runners.

Unless the tradition of runners survives on College Street, I have no way to explain why I was getting pulled into book dumps a good 10 - and more - shops down the pavement with sellers yelling, "Dada, books on Chinese communism, books on fascism, good rates..." and a great deal more of the commercial ballyhoo that comes from people trying to squeeze a living in this age of glitzy Barnes & Noble and the Oxford Book Store giving 75 per cent discounts on books that nobody wants to buy. Which wing-footed Hermes had told all these people that a bibliophile chump was busy trying to catch pneumonia pounding the cobblestones?

Well, basking in my irrigated glory as I was, there was one bookseller who didn't give a shit. Resting fatly and benignly below a teetering pile of books was one - a horror anthology of Frankenstein - I wanted to buy for my fiance, who has a taste for bloody books that would send war veterans haring for the horizon. Young lad, callow, I would like to think, the bookseller sat torso-nude in his shack. When I asked to see the book, and offered to help him retrieve it from below the pile, he scowled at me and said, "It's raining," (which I knew) and "hobe na" (won't happen), which I didn't. I stood around like a spaniel. Nary a difference it made to him. So I slumped onwards. When the rain eased a bit, I screeched round like a motocross bike and returned and made the same offer. He relented, we bargained, I bought the book - and he suddenly realised that he had relinquished an absolute pushover.

Allow me this rummage of observations, whichever part of the world you inhabit: 1) Pushovers can be very pushy when pushed too far; 2) If you love books, do yourself a favour and make a pilgrimage to College Street in Calcutta, thundershower or no; 3) Any Bengali who refuses attendance to a bibliophile is a farceur, and deserves to be paradropped among the Amazon's headshrinkers.

And, finally - nope, the books are not for sale.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, "a very cool cat" - nice cognomen, that, "ati sheetal billi" - I did forget to mention the Ellery Queen collection. Blame it on the fact that my taste for crime fiction is primordial, at its worst, and canonical, at its ignorant best: Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett and their no less-talented cousin, James Hadley Chase. But you're right - that Ellery Queen ed. book is a Faberge egg: that collectible was made for readers like you. No fear, College Street will be much visited by yours truly and much beauty rescued - given, of course, that the shops can hold out like Annie Reed (Meg Ryan) tried to against Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) in 'You've Got Mail'. (Funny, "a very cool cat", but a bit of "crime" creeps in here, too - as in criminal, uncredited ripoff: 'You've Got Mail' is a direct lift from the movie and the musical 'She Loves Me', which was taken from the 1940 movie 'The Shop Around the Corner'. 'She Loves Me' debuted in 1963, 23 years after the original movie. Furthermore, all of the above were based on the play 'Parfumerie' (1936) by Miklos Laszlo, on which play was also based the 1949 Judy Garland musical 'In the Good Ole Summertime'. So, I get your point: Whodunnit goes back a long way, dunnit?

Anonymous said...

I've always pictured College Street as something that makes the Daryaganj second-hand book market blush with shame. Pity I couldn't go there, though.

(Oh, and just so you know, I have been lurking around your blog on Proteeti's recommendation, though hadn't got around to commenting yet!)

Unknown said...

Mmm, lurking around is a good thing to do. We should call ourselves 'Die Lurkers' - The Lurkers - skimmering (sorry neologism) around blogs looking for material that makes intellectual sense. I've been skulking around your Website, too, and enjoy it thoroughly, except for the Sims department, which - although I consider myself a supergeek and a gadget freak - I'm not (yet) a part of. Oh, I know that I'll probably become immortal by turning myself into an electronic homunculus. Till then, let's agree to hunch around College Street and each other's blogs. Meanwhile, although I'm not much of a fantasy buff - more into hard science fiction - I'm waiting, with a great deal of palpitations, for your novel: I fervently hope that you drive that potted pretender, Samit Basu, into the purgatory of oblivion.

Raj said...

I wonder who makes better money at the end of the day- the bigger bookshops or the collective of the book hawkers?

Walmart find it hard to survive if C streets methods of doing business is adopted. One is hounded by cheap vegetable price outside the Mart- so you can hit the milk stall directly and don't have to mind the aisles of "things you don't want to buy but are kept on display so that you buy them."

That was a bad comment...but cheers anyway...spent some time reading your post on Islam conversion- had a genuine question. One counts the statistics for the many that are converting into Islam...what about people converting away from it?

C. Moon said...

I am trying to find additional information about the British India Publishing Company. I picked up a couple of editions myself and am curious as to their value.